Sunday, October 6, 2013

October 6, 2013 - Experience of Active Faith

I am not sure why I am sharing this, but I feel it will be beneficial to those who read this blog.

This weekend is General Conference and this morning was the second-last session. As the closing hymn 'We Thank Thee, O God, For A Prophet' was played, I took a pizza box outside to the trash as I had spent since Friday eating the pizza inside that was now finished. I returned to find the door had locked behind me.

I did not lose my cool at this sudden problem, however; I instead offered a quiet prayer for help and then calmly went to the front door and asked the upstairs tenant for help. Her name escapes me, as I have always had a difficult time with names, but her kindness does not. She allowed me to use her phone to call the landlord and as we waited for the landlord to come with extra keys, she let me stay inside out of the cold.

We did try to unlock the door that led to the basement, but I ended up slipping or missing a step and falling down several steps feet first. Miraculously, I was not injured and only needed a minute before the pain disappeared. The Lord truly has protected me from serious injury by prompting me to take care for myself.

It took a few minutes for the landlord to arrive, but in that time, I was able to share that I am currently a part-time Church Service Missionary at the Bishop's Storehouse in Lethbridge and that after people who are in need speak to the leader of the ward they live in, they come to the storehouse and receive compassion and love from the missionaries who are there to help them. I was also able to explain about General Conference in that it's a wonderful two day event in which we learn from the prophet of the Mormon church and the other leaders about how we can do and be better.

I could see the intriguing impression I had been able to leave with her about the Mormons thanks to the assistance I received from the Spirit of God. A seed, was planted because of the Spirit, this I know to be true and, through the Atonement, we can all feel the love and direction from the Spirit of God.

The land eventually came and I got back into my house having had a wonderful spiritual experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment